Total Pageviews

Friday, February 7, 2014

Louisiana Names Never Sound Like They're Spelled

Louisiana is a place all its own.  I was just laughing to myself about Louisiana surnames, street names, and city names.  They almost never sound like they're spelled.  I remember finding it so funny when visitors and tourists would try to pronounce them; heck, even I got it wrong once in a while!

For instance:
Gilbert                  pronounced "Joe Bear"
Hebert                  pronounced "Ay Bear"
Herbert                also pronounced "Ay Bear"
Gaubert                pronounced "Go Bear"
LeBlanc                pronounced "Lu Blan"
Thibodaux             pronounced "Tib u Doe"
Houma                  pronounced "Home Uh"
Boudreaux             pronounced "Boo Droe"
Thibaut                  pronounced "Tee Bo"
Tchoupitoulas        pronounced "Chop It Tool Us"
Simoneaux            pronounced "Sim Uh No"
Richard                 pronounced "Re Shard"
Lafourche              pronounced "Lu Foosh"

Now, there are many, many more than I've included here; but it's been so long since I've been home that my memory is foggy.

I love how unique South Louisiana is.  I love the "ma'ams" and "sirs" you get from people your own age when you go the store.  I love introductory conversations revolving around, "Who's your family?"  I absolutely miss hearing the never-ending "y'alls" and questions of "you gonna get down?"  If you don't grow up there, most people have no idea that, "you gonna get down?" means, "Are you going to get out of the car and go in?"  Yes, Louisiana is such a fun, vibrant place.


No comments:

Post a Comment