Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sixth Sense

I'm not unlike many people in that I've always been curious about the "sixth sense" or people who claim to be psychic. But, unlike most people, I know psychics exist. The story of how I came to be sure about that happened about five years ago.
I was at my favorite bar, the Y Bar. An incredibly old man was always there and always drunk as a skunk. The bartenders and regulars always called him "Pops." One night, he came to me and said he wanted to give me a "reading".  Being an open-minded person, I told him to go ahead. He told me that in six months or so I was going to:
                 "MEET A MAN WHO'S FIVE FEET NINE OR FIVE FEET TEN WHO WILL BE IN                           TOWN ON BUSINESS.  HE WILL EITHER BE FRENCH OR SPEAK FRENCH AND HAVE BROWN HAIR AND BLUE EYES."
He said I'd fall in love with that man. Well,  six weeks later, I met my husband--all 5 foot 10 of him. He was in town on business, had brown hair and blue eyes and minored in French in college.  I met him on July 18, 2006 and married him on December 16th of the same year.
I often wonder how that man just "knew," and the only answer I can come to is that he just KNEW.  The night he gave me my reading I asked him about himself.  He told me he'd been a psychic during the Vietnam War and that he was a "10th degree Buddhist monk" who could meditate so well/deeply that his heart would almost stop.  Now, I did some research; and per Wikipedia it appears psychics were used by the Americans to help find the enemy during that war.  Interesting.  However, I have never met a Buddhist monk before; but something tells me they don't spend their time in the Y Bar.  But, who cares.  All I know is that he KNEW what was waiting for me.  It still gives me goosebumps to this day.  Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

2 comments:

  1. Not as deep but at Jacques-Imo's Cafe on Oak St NOLA there is an old drunk guy who sits at the front door every nite acting as unofficial maitre d. He has his tarot card deck out on table all covered with little stones. I was never one to put much stock in this except that you project your own out come on the cards and arrive at the decision you had in the back of your head already. Waiting for a table I got a reading and arrived where I knew was the right direction. He was really good as a guide. Now I think in certain places mysticism is more powerful and NOLA is one of those places, the South really in general. We just tend to keep some of that old world power about us. And really maybe our Modern World needs more psychic/mysticism/whatever you call it. At least I like thinking it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have always been interested, like I said. I've been told all my life that my grandmother has always "known" things, and maybe it's because of that that I have always been a little less skeptical. But that man just told it like it was and was right about everything except the timeline: he said "months" when it was actually weeks later that I met him. But, you can't get too picky lol. What I didnt' put in there is that he told me that the guy I was going to fall in love with shouldn't be trusted. I was so scared of letting myself fall for him just b/c of that. But after five years almost to the day since I met him, I've never had any cause whatsoever not to trust him implicitly. Maybe the old man was wrong about that too! At least, I hope and pray every day that he was lol.

    ReplyDelete