Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Lamentations on COVID-19

I think the hardest thing about being in quarantine/implementing social distancing is the fact that I am a hands-on person.  I don't mean that in a creepy way, to be clear.  But I am hand shaker, a hugger, a shoulder tapper, and a face-to-face kind of person. 

I want to be clear and say that it could be so much worse for me right now (knock on wood).  I am still earning a paycheck.  I am living in an apartment that is paid for.  I have more than enough food to survive.  I have made dear friends here who check on me every day (in a socially distant way of course).  My mother, my husband, and my in-laws check in with me daily, as do my amazing children.  But I miss "touching" people.  There's no way to say/write that without it not being creepy, is there? 

I miss hugs and pats and even European-style cheek kisses among friends, which I always seemed to do  backwards, and which made it awkward.  I haven't touched another human being in 37 days, and then it was only a shoulder touching a shoulder during a drive.  To be honest, it's been over 40 days; because, by the end of FACT training, no one was sitting near anyone else. 

Now, hugging my husband and children is another matter.  I last kissed and hugged my husband and children 57 days ago.  I missed my first born's 13th birthday today, which is just a cruel "f*ck you" from Mother Nature, as far as I am concerned.  The long and short of it is, my family is going to be fine.  My children are a Foreign Service poster child(ren) for "resilience."  My marriage is stronger than ever.  But my tactile sense of self is so, so lonely in all of this.  I feel like Southern women around the world are seriously suffering from  COVID-19's societal requirements right now.  We are not okay. 

I only give thanks that my husband brought my little dog to me when I last saw my family.  I don't know what I would do without having her to hold.  That said, I am starting to feel like Lennny in "Of Mice and Men," when I hold her.  I just keep telling myself not to squeeze her too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment