Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why I Do It

When I was growing up in small-town Louisiana (we had one stoplight and one part-time restaurant), I always wondered and fretted about why I didn't fit in.  I never wanted what those around me wanted.  I have never cared about society, popularity, fitting in, fashion, wealth, position, or any of the things that come along with them. I always thought I was weird--I was told I was weird--for wanting to see the world.  I mean, of course people like to travel every now and then; but I wanted to break out and away from the norm that I was raised with.  I never, ever pictured myself staying in one place, doing one thing for my entire life.  I had my travel dreams for years and years. Eventually, I came to believe that my dreams of seeing the world one small piece at a time were actually delusions.  Even my oldest and dearest friends sat me down (around my 25th birthday) and told me that I was living a "pipe dream."  They told me that even though they loved me more than anything, I needed to come back to reality and find a way to be happy in South Louisiana.

Look, I want to get something straight about South Louisiana before I go any further.  South Louisiana is amazing. There are no better people.  There is no better food.  There is no better culture, language, or laisse faire attitude than can be found in South Louisiana.  The architecture, the attitude, the people, the beauty, and just the natural surroundings of where I grew up cannot be explained or equaled anywhere else in the world.  I do not believe that my wanderlust comes from anything that my home is lacking; it just comes from me.    My life with my husband has been a dream come true.  My wanderlust isn't--COMPLETELY--fulfilled per se; however, I am so much better and satiated than I used to be.  My dream--our dream--has always been to get out and to see the world and to then decide to go back and settle in South Louisiana.  If I have my way, I'll bring a dish back from every wonderful country I get to live in and open a restaurant in New Orleans where I can share then with the locals (I have great hopes for Crawfish Poutine and Crab Ceviche so far).

Anyway, I just know that some of my friend and loved ones have never understood exactly where my incessant need to explore comes from.  Honestly, I don't always understand it either.  All that I do know is that living as a nomad fulfills and inspires me in ways I never thought possible.  At this time, I can imagine no other life for me, my family, or my children.  At this time, I only want more of the unexpected.  My wanderlust is in full-force; and I am just so grateful that I'm not doing this on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment